Ethical Fine Jewellery and Sustainable Brands
Taking care of our fine jewellery is essential if we want it to last a lifetime, and more. Discover below some top tips that will help to keep it in immaculate condition.
- When not worn, keep jewellery in a clean, dry, and cool place and away from direct sunlight to prevent fading or discolouration.
- Use individual soft pouches, jewellery boxes, or compartments to prevent pieces from scratching or tangling with each other.
- Clean jewellery regularly to remove dirt and oils that can dull its appearance.
- Use a mild, non-abrasive jewellery cleaner or warm, soapy water. Soak for around 20 minutes and gently scrub with a soft toothbrush or a specialised jewellery cleaning brush.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that can damage gemstones and metals.
Avoid Contact with Chemicals
- Remove jewellery before applying cosmetics, perfumes, lotions, and hairsprays as these can damage the surface of gemstones and metals.
- Chlorine can be particularly damaging to metals and gemstones, causing discolouration, so always remove jewellery before swimming in pools or hot tubs.
- When handling jewellery, be gentle to avoid bending, scratching, or breaking delicate components.
- Put on jewellery once dressed to avoid it getting caught on clothing.
Professional Cleaning and Maintenance
- Periodically, have jewellery professionally cleaned and inspected by a jeweller. They can check for loose stones and perform any necessary maintenance or repairs.
- Diamonds are relatively durable however take care not to dislodge the stones, especially if they are knocked against other hard materials.
- Keep free from oils and dirt by cleaning regularly.
Gold and Silver
- Gold and silver jewellery can tarnish over time. Use a polishing cloth or a specialised jewellery cleaner to restore their shine.
- Avoid exposing pearls to excessive moisture, which can weaken their lustre and turn dull.
- Clean with a soft, damp cloth and store in a separate pouch or box to prevent scratches. Avoid contact with sharp surfaces.